Saturday, March 15, 2008

One of the funny sides of my life...

Most people who know me, know that i've lived in Bangkok, Thailand for quite a large part of my life, though it has been almost four years now, since i've come back. For some of my friends, its a regular joke, and mind you.. they can be very funny about it. Living there has made me acquire a lot of things that are different from many people around me, obviously (my friends sometimes find that quite funny). An accent certainly would be one of them (though its much more Indian now than it was there), and so would be some mannerisms, some ideas, ways of living, things i know, etc.
For me, many things are different, and sometimes a lil' "awkward". An example would be the recent and the ongoing "heated debate" over some documentaries that were screened a few days back (i wasn't present for it) and then the lecture which has triggered alot of differences in ideologies and retaliation, etc. But to be honest... i'm slightly lost, cuz i haven't really read on all this before (the babri masjid issue for example... i just know that an issue like that exists, but i really don't know the details)...
Another really big blow to me was a movie i recently watched.. a movie called 'Parzania.' Its based on the Gujarat Riots that occured in 2002... I know it had happened and all that. But when i saw the movie... i just couldn't take it.. the reason behind the riots is a different story altogether, but the riots itself were so painful. The way they just kill someone, screaming into paranoia, raping, murdering and god only knows what else.... it was just simply scary!!!
I msgd my roommate (who'd watched the movie earlier) and she told me that this was very close to reality.. i couldn't sleep that night.
Then there are the regular takes on history that i'm mostly clueless about... and when i ask any of my friends.. they say... "oh akki.. tum to Thailand se aayi ho.."(trying to imitate my accent) and laugh!! But what to do.. that's something i just can't help.
Then there are the funny parts.
When me and my sister used to come to India... my sister (who hardly lived in India before that) would just point to the cows/pigs/camels on the road and scream with delight and surprise (mom, look.. a pig on the road) and my cousins would just laugh at her and then tease her...
Then there was this fascination of mine for the bhel puri, chaats, wada pao's etc sold on the pavements or on the trains... cuz mom and moreover my uncle just wouldn't let us buy those things.. he would prefer to take us to a more "hygienic" place.
This and a lot of other stuff... too many to mention even, occur in my day to day life, now making me the center of many jokes (which i mostly enjoy.. so not to worry)

I don't know why i wrote this blog post... maybe cuz i don't know what to do and i just felt like writing something...
I know for a fact that all my friends are gonna make fun of me cuz of this post.. and i'm gonna get alot of comments.. but its ok (i hope).

P.S. This post is not meant for showing off or for hurting anyone or any other purpose.. it is a product of sheer boredom and nothing else at all..

7 comments:

Niranjan said...

wht exactly did u have in ur mind whily writing this blog... u think we'll stop teasing u n start pityin you huh?... u r completely mistaken miss anaconda... hum tumhe kal bhi tease karte the, aaj bhi tease karte hain aur zindagi ki aakhri saans tak tease karte rahenge...
inqlaab zindabaad!!!
Angrezo Bharat chhodo!!

Akki said...

Gusthaki maaf jahapana...
nothing of that sort was my intention... ;)
you think i don't know that you're gonna be teasing me till the day i die???

Manaswini said...

well akruti i cn understand..ur ignorance is quite obvious nd fr god shake people stop teasing..she cnt help it if she stayed out d country ..so people stop teasing her..
:)

Nina C said...

buhahahahahahahahaha..you r such a show off aki;) and ur accent,i dont even wanna get into that!!!welcome to India ms akruti..ha!ha!

ruchika said...

ahhann... yeeeaaaa.. full fake ignorance [oh how i dont know bout this n that n blah blah coz m frm taailand...!!;-)] n btwn every line u secretly want to show off that you were an NRI and thats why u dont know anything.. now u live in india and better brush up ur knowledge and accent else we will not stop tesing u;-) okkaaaiiii( with the accent touch)

ruchika said...

*teasing*

Unknown said...

I heard NRI's get their pocket money in dollars......

uh oh... (dives for cover)